Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Overtrained...fatigued, foggy, failed

The last few months have been treacherous. After my marathon at the beginning of October, I took a 10 day break from running, but still cross trained my heart out with spin, stairs, elliptical, weights, and yoga. Once I started running again, I felt sluggish and couldn't get my speed back. My quads were heavy and didn't want to respond. I tried to take it easy, reminding myself of my fabulous marathon. I had worked hard and was rewarded, now was the time to reward my body for its efforts.

Then in early November, I went home to meet my niece and something clicked. I love running the dirt roads in Vermont! I felt free! My speed returned with ease. I ran faster than before. Running long runs faster than I should, but unable to get my body or soul to slow down. On my return from Vermont, I headed to Tucson for a conference. More great scenery to take in. More hills to run. Again, I ran faster than I should. 

I got home from this trip a few days before Thanksgiving, feeling like I was getting sick. I was registered for a turkey trot, so decided to rest a bit before the race. On race day, I still couldn't shake the fatigue and body aches, but made my way to the starting line ready to will my legs through the 5 mile course. I felt fine until mile 3, when my quads decided they were done. I couldn't feel them anymore. I ran with my heart, not allowing my legs to stop, all the way to a PR and 2nd AG finish (there was some fierce competition for a turkey trot).

After the race, a dear friend gave her opinion on my symptoms. I was over trained and should monitor my resting heart rate. So I dutifully checked it every morning for the next few days. It had gone up from 52 to 56...not too bad, but still a sign that I needed to rest. I had another race a few days later. I had no desire to run this 5 mile race around Central Park, but felt obligated to run as it was a points race for local running clubs. As one of the top women in my club, I needed to help them score in the final race of the year, which would determine the winning team overall. So, I planned a much needed break to begin after the race. Well, I should say after the 5k I did minutes after the 5 miler...what can I say? I have an addiction. 

The 5 miler was horrible, my legs were done and my heart didn't want to run, but the 5k was great! That probably has to do with the fact that it was my husband's first race. I wanted to get done as quickly as possible so I could cheer him to the finish. My heart took over that race, not allowing me to stop. No PRs that day, but one of the best racing days yet as I shared the sport I love with the man I love.

When I got home from all that racing, I planned out a 10 day juicing cleanse. I figured cleaning out my system and boosting my body with a mega dose of nutrients would aid in my recovery. I engaged in minimal exercise, only doing yoga and one slow 5 mile run a week, mostly just put of socialization. I felt great initially, but then started to feel worse. 

I was trying to study for my microeconomics final, but couldn't concentrate. I couldn't focus. I would doze off studying, head bobbing, only to give up and go to bed...but couldn't fall asleep. I was exhausted all the time. I had a burning knot in my shoulder that brought tears to my eyes. My muscles ached and cried from fatigue. Massage did nothing but make it worse. And the headaches were never ending. All this, on top of a lack of appetite. For those, who know me well, I love to eat. I ended up going to the doctor's, something I rarely do, but was scared something serious was ailing my body. She did a battery of tests to determine the cause, ruling out Lyme's disease, lupus, thyroid disease, etc. While I waited for the results, I continued my futile attempts at studying.

The next day, she called me because the lab informed her that one my tests had a critical value. My creatinine kinase, or CK, was 1660, four times the upper limit of normal. CK is an indicator of muscle break down and although, mine wasn't high enough to result in rhabdomyolosis, it had to come down. I was prescribed full rest until further notice. No cross training, stretching, massage, or sauna...just plenty of fluids and relaxation. All this just in time to head to Vermont for the holidays. After a stressful semester and a few months of chaos at work due to displacement by the hurricane, I was ready for a break and looking forward to running at home. Oh, well, now I would just have to spend all my free time relaxing with my niece. Oh, and as you might have guessed, I pretty much failed that final. I was horrified, but still passed the class with a low B. Even if I had not been sick, I still would have struggled as economics is not for me. And to think it was an elective...I guess I wasn't thinking...

After a nice break in the country, I was ready to run, but of course a snow storm forced us to stay a little longer, causing me to miss my follow-up appointment just before a long holiday weekend. So, I had to wait a few more days. When I finally saw her, my labs were back to normal so after 20 days of inactivity, I was finally able to work out. Slowly....

I am working hard to get back to where I left off, but it seems to be progressing slower than I expected. I get nervous that maybe I didn't rest long enough as it can take months to recover. I keep getting muscle aches, but those might be due to starting up again. Maybe a massage will help, and more foam rolling. What bothers me the most though, is that my heart rate continues to be elevated, both resting and through out the day. I have been monitoring it during my workouts and it seems to slowly be coming down. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to be easier on myself. But it's not easy for this over achiever.

In retrospect, one might look at all my training and racing for the year and consider that the culprit. I ran my first 50 miler, my first tri, and then another one, 2 marathons, 3 half marathons, and 8 shorter races, all intertwined within 10 months of nonstop training. I think I probably could have handled that alone, but then you add a full-time job and part-time school, both of which add another degree of stress with and of themselves. Clinic has been exceptionally busy. I am constantly pressured to meet deadlines for grants, while also providing the best clinical care possible. Then we were displaced due to the hurricane, greatly affecting our productivity, and increasing the pressure once we were allowed back into our offices. Finding time to focus on a subject that didn't completely make sense, something extracurricular, became very difficult. Yet, I am a perfectionist and place a great deal of pressure on myself to do well in school. On top of that was family stress. My little sister was having her first child. I was becoming an aunt. I wanted more than anything to be there, but was stuck in New York due to my hectic schedule and then the hurricane. What I am trying to say is, I think the excessive stress I endured the last few months was toxic and played a large role in my over training syndrome. It's not just about physical stress that the body endures, but also mental stress.

Moving forward, I am learning to take time for myself. To sit in the present moment, breath, and just be. As my favorite mantra goes..."So Hum"....I am all that is.

Here are a few signs and symptoms of over training syndrome to look out for:
  • changes in blood pressure
  • changes in heart rate at rest, during exercise, and during recovery
  • increased frequency of respiration
  • decreased lean body mass
  • reduced appetite
  • nausea
  • gastrointestinal disturbance
  • changes in sleep pattern
  • constant fatigue
  • complaints of muscle and joint aches and pains
  • muscle soreness tenderness
  • depression
  • decreased self-esteem
  • decreased motivation, lack of desire for sport
  • loss of coordination
  • difficulty concentrating
  • headaches
  • swelling of lymph glands
  • increased susceptibility to and severity of illness, colds, and allergies

No comments:

Post a Comment