Monday, November 26, 2012

Gobble, Gobble...Wobble, Wobble...and Run

I have been feeling really run down lately. I can't decided if I'm coming down with an illness or am completely over tired and in need of extensive rest. I came back from a lovely conference and running adventures in Arizona, refreshed from a very relaxing Swedish massage, only to find that my legs feel like lead.

I did a 5 mile turkey trot last week, only a few days post-return, and although it was a PR, I wasn't happy with my performance. The calculators and my other race times suggest that I should be able to run faster. I did the 5 miles in 32:30, which is a 6:30 pace. But I ran 4 miles over the summer at the end of a tri at a 6:14 pace. I went out close to my goal pace during the trot, despite some hefty hills, but then started to slow after mile 3 as my legs ran out of gas. My hips were burning and my quads were lifeless. I can usually sprint hard to the finish, but not on this day. My legs were dead. Don't get me wrong, I'm still proud of my improvement, but I just can't seem to race my potential in short distances, and feel a bit frustrated. I don't know if it's not warming up completely (it takes me a while, especially in the cold) or residual fatigue.

Well I have another shot this weekend. So I have been focusing on rest, taking naps and trying to go to bed early. As well as trying to run slower (I realized I was running all my runs a bit too fast post-marathon). I have also focused on caring for my muscles, taking epsom salt soaks, stretching, rolling, and massaging out the kinks. In fact I got the most painful massage today. Really, I thought I was going to die. Unfortunately, my back was so knotted, my legs didn't get as full a treatment as they needed. I find massages in the states to be lacking in the leg department. If only I could find a place as good as the blind masseurs of Thailand. No one can beat 2 hours of torture for $20, with an ending of complete relaxation. I left today with a burning back and grimace on my face. I suppose I will give up on massages.

I am also focusing on my diet, which has been horrible lately. So after the best Thanksgiving meal I have had in my life...no really, it was the best! My husband and I were invited to the home of one of my nursing school professors, who happens to be the sister of a dear running friend. Besides great company, who can resist a menu of creamed mushrooms and brussels sprouts, caramelized onions and string beans, apple salad, roasted root vegetables, mashed potatoes, stuffing, homemade cranberry sauce, and of course turkey...all after loads of brie and fig jam and followed by apple pie. Just thinking about it makes me excited for next year!

Anyways, as you can see I had a smorgasbord and now it's time to get back on track. I'm skipping the Paleo diet this time around though, because I really missed and felt deprived without dairy (yogurt/cheese) and peanut butter. So I am going back to my low-carb regimen of eliminating grains, potatoes, and anything with a high glycemic index. I know it's counter intuitive. I run for endurance, so I must need carbs, but eating this way teaches my body to burn fat instead of carbs for fuel, which allows me to sustain a constant energy level for a longer period of time than relying on carbs alone. I am hoping that eating this way will allow my body to feel better, perform better, and lose those extra pounds I gained over the last few months. I want to lose the weight and run faster, but most of all, I want to feel better! I think eating a crappy diet has had a huge impact in my recovery and fatigue. So good-bye sweets, good-bye chocolate, and good-bye french fries.

Finally, after this weekend's race I'm planning to take some extra recovery time. I thought I had taken a few weeks off after my marathon, but after some prodding from a running mate, realized I only took 10 days. I think my body needs a bit more recovery to prepare for Boston training. Besides it will be just in time for a marathon of studying for finals. Hoping some more rest will ease the fatigue and allow me to be fresh come January when my training will ramp up again.



No comments:

Post a Comment