Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Whirlwind

This past weekend was both amazing and tumultuous. I hadn't been home to Vermont since Christmas, but had been anticipating the trip for a while. I was looking forward to social engagements, but bummed I couldn't run more due to tapering. In fact, the Vermont 50 was on Sunday and I so badly wanted to sign-up, but alas, running 50 miles the week before a marathon would be complete insanity if I wanted to race well. I just love running in the country...It beats the streets of NYC any day!

My sister came out to get us Thursday evening. Yep, she is pretty great, always coming to get us so the hounds can have a break from the city too. If only I could figure out a hassle free way to manage alternate side of the street parking, I would have a car and drive myself. We chatted away during the ride, catching up...and keeping me awake as I took over the driving. I have been over tired lately due to school, work, and training, so staying up late isn't easy...and we didn't get in until 1:30am.

The next morning I had my first social engagement, breakfast with a very dear friend. She actually used to be my therapist, but we have stayed in touch since I moved to NYC 7 years ago and is now more like family. I look forward to seeing her every time I go home...always one of the highlights of my trip. It was great to update her on all my running exploits and other life happenings. Always feels good to hear words of encouragement from someone you love.

It was Friday, and it was raining. I had a scheduled recovery run, but didn't feel like torturing myself and opted to do it another day. Recovery runs always feel like torture...I just like to run fast...and can never manage to run slow in the rain. I figured it was better to postpone in order to maintain my taper. So after a fabulous visit, I opted for some homework...blah.

That night I felt some all over body soreness, but tried to ignore it. However, it was only worse when I woke hope. But I headed out for my 10 miler anyways. It was drizzling, so I opted to stick to the main road instead of my favorite dirt road as I didn't want to get my brand new "marathon" shoes all muddy...yes, I am one of those clean freaks. I donned my compression socks and my new "birthday" (a bit early) iPod. Over the first mile my calves seemed to tighten more and more. This had never happened. I went back and forth between stopping or finishing the run. I did not want to injure myself. I only opted to continue because I didn't have time the following day. I stretched multiple times and tried to slow myself down (I was running faster than I wanted, but everything besides my calves felt good). They got better as time progressed, but the hills hurt. I wondered if it was the socks or if something was happening inside. I had recalled some calf cramping the night before while sleeping, so maybe it was a residual effect. I finished my run, a little worried. I didn't have time to ice, as I had another important engagement, so I ate some bananas, hoping the electrolytes would help.

Now time to prepare for my best friend, Noah's, wedding. He is Jewish and his beautiful bride is Indian. They picked a very simple Indian themed wedding in a Vermont field, with a few Jewish embellishments. It was absolutely beautiful...perfect! I cried as they said there vows. I have not seen two people so madly in love in a long while. It was breathtaking!
He is one of the most important people in my life and I couldn't be happier with his choice in a bride as she is just as amazing as he is. I only wish I could see them more often, but alas they live in Calcutta, India. If you ever want to donate to a great cause, check out Noah's NGO Calcutta Kids, which helps mothers and children in a slum of Calcutta...I fundraised for him during my first marathon and went out for a month to work with him.

Oh, and another reason I had to run that 10 miles...so I could eats loads of fabulous Indian food! Yes, I run to eat! But my diet has been horrible lately, and going home didn't help. I had been working at adopting the Paleo lifestyle, but going home meant a perpetual sugar high. You see, my mom has a daycare at home with a junk drawer, junk cupboard, and junk closet. For a sugar addict, it's hard to resist! Next time I need to pack all my own food and plan meals...next time...And with all that junk, I was beginning to feel bloated and lethargic.

Ok. So onto Sunday. I slept until noon. I had stayed out late at the wedding after party. Sleeping in felt great, but I had a baby shower to attend at 2pm. So I dressed, skipping the compression socks this time, and headed out the door for my recovery run. I tried to enjoy my favorite dirt road, but the run was torture. My calves were tightening again...and I had to force myself to slow down. I finished, unhappy, and more worried.

But again, no time to fret. I had to get ready for my little sister's baby shower...oh did I forget to mention she's 8 months preggo with my niece. Yep! And I can't wait to buy her first running shoes! I hate baby showers, I hate family gatherings, but I enjoyed watching my sister in her new more mature ways. I was worried when I first found out she was pregnant, only being 23, in an on and off relationship, and still having a final semester of college. But she has delightfully surprised me in how much she has grown up! She is going to be a fantastic mom! And I couldn't be more proud of her! I am so happy to feel like we are developing a closer relationship...something I have always wanted! At this point in my life, I don't really like kids (they cry and poop too much), but I am getting excited to be an aunt! (Anyone want to be on duty to drive me or loan me their car when delivery is approaching? I might just bake you a goody :-)

Anyways, the next day, it was time to head back to NYC. I opted to sleep in again...oh so nice to catch up on some zzz's. I also opted to take the day off instead of attempting another recovery run. Rest is just as good...and very important!

Tuesday I headed out for 7 miles with 2 at marathon pace. I tried out my compression socks again, but as soon as I started running my calves stiffened and my socks felt uncomfortably tight. I have run in my socks for a while now, but they feel so much tighter when my calves tense up. I stretched them well, which helped and kept running...and they kept tightening. They didn't feel good until I really picked up the pace, but everything else felt lethargic. Not a good outcome for one of my final runs before race day. More worrying!

I stretched after the run. I went to the gym at lunch to stretch some more and foam roll. My calves were still bothering me at the end of the day. Time for ice! And again today. More ice and rolling. I am trying to stay positive. I am sure it will be fine. Likely a result of high stress and anxiety. You see, despite all the great things that happened at home, I was overcome with negative emotions due to issues I won't bore you with. I don't think my body could handle all the emotional and physical stress it was under. It has revolted.

But I will take control! I fly out Friday morning to St. George, Utah. Once I arrive I will run a couple easy miles with a few stride-outs on my way to the expo and then go to bed after a quick bite to eat. I am hoping to get some good rest. For now it is ice, rolling, and plenty of oranges (they decrease inflammation). Come Saturday it will be time for...

No comments:

Post a Comment